Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do You Have Unclaimed Cash with the IRS from 2006?

According to this article on Yahoo, the IRS is currently holding $1.3 billion in unclaimed refunds from 2006.

Apparently, 1.4 million people didn’t file their 2006 tax returns even though they were owed money. Even if they didn’t owe the IRS, didn’t they think the IRS might owe them? And this seems to happen every year.

Anyway, if you didn’t file in 2006, I’d check it out by April 15…that’s when the 3 year window closes and the money gets to stay with the IRS. The article suggests downloading a 2006 Form 1040 (or 2007 or 2008) from this site if you think some of this money may be yours.

Sadly, I know this money isn’t ours since we have filed returns since 2001…maybe one of my lucky readers forgot to file one of those years?

I understand if you too are wondering why someone would blow that off, but hey, maybe they were really busy that year…

Sorry for the overall snarkiness...it's a combination of frustration with laziness and jealousy since I'm not getting to pry some of my money back.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, none of it is mine either. In fact, I've already received my refund for this year as well. No need for Uncle Sam to hold onto that money any longer.

    I suspect that money of those that didn't file simply did not know they would be getting a refund. They probably thought they would owe taxes if they filed and thus didn't file. Our tax code is too complex and because of that, things like this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not mine. We owed 2006, 2007, and 2008 tax years.

    ReplyDelete