Monday, May 10, 2010

My Crappy Car

About a month ago, I mentioned car problems.  Here's the whole story of my crappy car so far.

The Car

I own a 2005 Chevy Aveo that I bought brand new for $11,200 on a 5 year loan.  I ended up paying a total of about $12,800 by the time I paid it off 2 years later.  It's currently 5 years old and has driven about 42,000 miles.  I bought it because I needed an inexpensive car, I was young enough to think that used cars sucked, and I only needed a commuter vehicle.

For 4 years, my Aveo did its job with only a few minor problems.  It slowly leaks about an inch of brake fluid every 4-6 months which I refill on my own now for $2 a shot.  It also wears down good tires every 2 1/2 years or 20,000 miles.

I've stuck to the maintenance schedule in the owner manual since I first bought it, so I thought I would be okay until at least 2012.

The First Situation

Last November (2009), my check engine light popped on while I was heading to work.  I was worried, so I stopped by my mechanic who was 5 miles away.  It took him 10 minutes to find out that my 02 sensor was broken and my serpentine belt was cracked.  My car had less than 39,000 miles at this point. 

Luckily, my husband had the day off and drove me into work.  My supervisor lives in my direction and was able to drop me off on his way home.  Since my mechanic could get the parts from a dealer nearby, I was able to pick up my car that afternoon but had to fork over $540 total with tax.  But it worked, so I swallowed my annoyance and hoped for the best.

The Second Situation

This April I was driving home from work and my A/C started blowing hot air that smelled a little.  It took me 2 miles of feeder road before I noticed that my car's thermostat gauge was reading a big fat H for hot.  After pulling over and calling my husband, I opened the hood and it looked like some icky liquid had exploded all over the place.

I called my mechanic and asked what I should do.  Obviously he suggested having it towed in so they could take a look.  I wrote down his address.  I then called our insurance company to see if I had towing on my policy.  I did and she sent out a tow truck to my location.  By that time my husband was waiting with me and I was so proud of not freaking out.  Let's just say I don't usually handle stress very well.

My mechanic called me the next morning with the happy news that my thermostat housing had cracked in half.  I knew this was coming since I had googled "Chevy Aveo Overheating" the night before and the first page of results all mentioned broken thermostat housings for the 2004-2006 models.  Why?  Because they used cruddy plastic housings instead of metal ones like everybody else.

My mechanic quoted $375 plus tax, which was similar to mentioned prices online, so I gave him the go ahead.  It was ready that afternoon and cost $343 total.  My crappy plastic thermostat housing was replaced with a much better metal one and now the car is driving fine again.

The Official Complaint

Call me crazy, but I do not think I should have to spend $900 on major parts in less than 6 months on a car with less than 42,000 miles! 

I emailed an official complaint to GM's customer service department detailing everything.  I received a phone call a few days later, went over the specifics, and was told that Paul would get back to me the next day.  Paul did not call.  I left a voicemail a week later and received a call back the next morning.  Since none of the parts that were replaced were part of a recall or replaced by a Chevrolet dealership, there's nothing they can do. 

He was nice enough to tell me that there was a recall for part of the electronics system though - they need to reprogram my Engine Control Module.  Fantastic. *heavy sarcasm*

I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs.  I also see a Hyundai Accent or Toyota Yaris in my future.  Maybe a used Prius since my husband's has worked out so well...hmmm...choices, choices.

Any car horror stories out there?  Any suggestions for my next car?

18 comments:

  1. Car problems? Oh let me count the ways!

    My worst car was...Plymouth Voyager minivan! Bought it for the Drivers Side door since I had a couple kids and it was going to be so much easier. Little did I know I was driving my babies around in an oddly-shaped, green deathtrap. The serpentine belt snapped within one week of ownership (it was a new car). It snapped 2 more times while I owned it. It fogged up something awful as soon as humidity exceeded 50 percent.

    Chevy Grand Prix - worst brakes on a car I have ever seen. Hated that car

    Chevy Beretta - ECM had problems in the rain. Had to be replaced 4 times

    Here are my favorites:
    Ford Taurus X/Freestyle. Love this vehicle. Sure it isn't the prettiest, but roomy as heck and reliable.

    Our little Pontiac Sunfire. (yes, Sunfire, not Sunbird). Cheapest car we ever had, but oh so reliable.

    Just a suggestion regarding your tires - try to rotate them whenever you get an oil change. Rotating as extended to life of my tires a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,I shouldn't drink with breakfast. I meant to say that Rotating HAS extended THE life of my tires a lot. Geez...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought a new Camry in 1998 and still love it. Then A Civic Hybrid in 2003--not so happy w/ that one. Everyone I know who has a Yaris LOVES it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...there are a lot of Chevy's on this list, including yours, BITFS. I have a Chevy Malibu that I bought brand new 9years ago, and I have had no trouble, aside from normal wear and tear of parts.

    I hope your car situation improves because I know how costly car repairs can be. Despite having no mechanical problems from my car, a 9year old car starts to need a lot of replacement parts--and the costs add up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so its Monday... I meant PONTIAC Grand Prix, not Chevy! :) By the way, my husband has a 2009 Chevrolet Impala and that car is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My worst car ever was a Dodge Intrepid. It lasted only 6 years. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyday Tips, the Pontiac Sunfire looks like a really cool car. Oh, I forgot to mention that my tires get rotated every 6000 miles...the car doesn't seem to care...it eats tires, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frugal Scholar, my grandparents just bought a new Camry and let me drive them to Austin in it. It was awesome!

    Thanks for passing along the good Yaris reviews...I was hoping to find an inexpensive car that was actually reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Young Mogul, a friend of mine just got a Malibu after her Cobalt was totalled...she's so happy! It looks really nice too. Good luck with your 9 year old, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon, I'll make sure to put Dodge Intrepid on my NO list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... Just the sort of things that made me decide, 30-plus years ago, never to buy another American car. Have been driving Toyotas ever since, and never had another car problem.

    My father bought me a 1967 Ford Fairlane as a graduation gift, after I'd dumped the boyfriend he disliked. That thing was the worst lemon ever to roll (briefly) down a road. Whatever could go wrong with a car did go wrong with it. Luckily, the bridegroom and I moved into an apartment that was within walking distance of a Ford dealership, since the thing literally spent more time at the dealer's repair shop than it did in our carport. After some time, I decided the Ford repair guys were deliberately breaking things on it -- I'd take it in, get it fixed, and within two or three days something else would break.

    We dumped it for a Toyota Corona. What a wonderful car! It ran and ran and ran and ran, 100 percent trouble-free. I've had the same experience since then with two Camrys, a Land Cruiser, and a Sienna.

    At one point we bought a Chevy van, because I was carpooling a half-dozen kids several times a week. Piece of junk! The transmission gave out about a week after the warranty ended. Then-husband threw his weight around and persuaded the dealer to honor the warranty after all. Next we (stupidly) replaced that with a Chevy Suburban. Prettier piece of junk, but still a piece of junk. Transmission gave out about a week before the warranty ended. As it developed, Chevy truck transmissions habitually gave out about the time the vehicle's warranty ended.

    We drove a Mercedes until the government phased out leaded gasoline, by which time the vehicle was very ancient but still running perfectly. We drove a Volvo--chronic electrical system and brake problems; wouldn't buy another one of those, either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny about Money, I'll do the smart thing and learn from my and everybody else's mistakes...I'm buying a Toyota or Hyundai next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. $900 in six months is "crappy". It's still cheaper than car payments no matter what car you buy. For me, the real tipping point is: "Do you trust your car"? No not with your life's savings, but rather will it start in the morning? Do you feel safe in it? Are you worried it will break down and leave you stranded? If the answer is yes, new car time is upon you.
    Give the Ford Focus a look. Though a friend of mine also swears by Toyota (Camrys and Avalons).

    Also, give a look at an one to three year old car, that may still be under warranty. I know you know the rationale so I won't repeat it here. Let us know what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BillV, yep, I won’t really be in the market for another car until this one stops running or annoys me enough to push me over the line. I’m hoping it lasts for at least another 2 years since I want to be able to buy all future cars in cash and won’t have a big enough fund for at least a year, maybe two, since we’ve drained our home and auto account to a basic $1000 while we’ve been attacking his car loan.

    When I am in the market, I will definitely be looking for a nice used car (I really like my husband’s Certified Pre-Owned Prius)…my ideal would be a 2 year old low-mileage Toyota or Hyundai or maybe even a Honda (although they seem expensive). I’m really interested in the Toyota Yaris and Prius right now, but that may change... I’ll definitely give you all an update when I have one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. BFS, Sorry about your car.

    I've had wonderful luck with my 2002 Honda Civic. I love that car and drive it all the time over my 2009 Honda Odyssey.

    I used to have a Volvo that was a complete lemon.

    My husband loves Volkswagen. He currently has an '05 GTI.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie, I’ve heard nothing but good things from most Honda owners. Maybe that’s why they cost more. I actually don’t know any Volkswagen owners, so thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a look at Fords as well. I have had a couple of Focus rental cars and they seemed screwed togeather quite well. Kind of fun to drive as well. My wife has a '02 Taurus and in 8 years it has needed less $$ in repairs than your Aveo. Most GM cars are better than that.

    BTW the Aveo is a rebadged Korean car build by Daewoo and a major GM management mistake bringing it in to the US. Daewoo tried and failed in the US so what was their first clue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I meant better than the Aveo, Consumer Reports rates Ford cars on par with Honda and Toyota (Pre gas pedal, hiding recall info etc.) in quality.

    ReplyDelete