Friday, April 2, 2010

Fit in a Fun Friday - Sea Monkeys

If the title didn’t make you smile, you’ve never had Sea Monkeys. They bring up so many fun memories from my childhood that I thought I’d remind you too.

For those of you that haven’t heard of Sea Monkeys, they are miniature Brine Shrimp that are suspended in their hatching process until they are introduced into the correct environment. In this case, that environment is a little plastic aquarium that has the correct packets added to it a few days in advance.

Honestly, the waiting is the hardest part. Even after you successfully wait to add the “Instant Life Eggs”, you then have to wait until the little guys hatch and become visible under the magnifying bubbles on the side of the tank. I don’t know how many times my mother reminded me to have some patience.

I know that tiny shrimp may not sound like fun, but the whole process makes me giddy. It’s fun to create a tiny world. It’s also interesting to watch them stutter around the tank. I can’t swear I learned anything deep from the whole process, but I really do have fond memories of my first real pets. Yes, we had a dog and a hamster, but Sea Moneys were the first animals I actually took care of myself.

They are also affordable…the whole setup can be bought for less than $10 at Amazon right now. I might be buying the little set of magical packets pretty soon again as well. I think they might make fun office pets.

Have you ever had Sea Monkeys? Did they make you smile too?

No comments:

Post a Comment